Hi, I'm Nathan!
I'm a software developer in the Midwestern United States.
These days, I work at a small upstart you may have heard of called Apple on developer tools - particularly things related to helping you write code and understand more about how it's put together.
In past lives:
- I've worked in public radio in a role that combined reporting, editing, teaching journalism and building tools for journalists.
- I've written pretty much all the code for a Twitter app that used a ridiculously over-engineered combination of machine learning and classic UI trickery to encourage friendliness and self-care while discouraging compulsive behavior and the spread of misinformation.
- I helped build tools for physicians fighting cancer to use on-the-go with their iPhones and iPads.
- I've worked in documentary film helping to record, line produce, and edit — while also building the software to render unique visualizations and contributing to/literally writing the book on one of the first DSLR video firmware hacks.
- I made apps and web services for startups that knew what they wanted, but not how they were going to get there.
I would link you, but they all ran out of money.
On the side, I'm a woodworker and a "maker" — if that still means anything these days.
Unfortunately, I also use a lot of Twitter.